Our History and Beliefs
Florence Christian School was established in 1972 as a ministry of Florence Baptist Temple. Pastor Bill Monroe and the leadership of the church saw that there was a need to provide a school that honored Jesus Christ, taught biblical values and also offered quality academics.
Church members and the general public began enrolling their children. The school started with fifty-four students in kindergarten through third grade. Growth continued and in 1979 the first graduating class of sixteen students was recognized. Presently, Florence Christian School has nearly 600 students enrolled in grades K3-12.
A distinct feature of our school is its continuing relationship with the church. Pastor Monroe serves as the president of the school. The church has sacrificially built the buildings that the school enjoys. This has allowed us to offer affordable tuition so that many families can send their children to FCS. Most importantly, through the influence and ministry of the church, the school has held to its founding principles of the Bible being a critical part of the educational process. Church staff are available for students as needed and often share in the life of the school through chapels and programs throughout the year.
Today we celebrate over 1,400 graduates who serve all over the world. Our graduates excel in almost every area of life. Many are pastors, church staff, foreign missionaries, and school teachers. Still others are doctors, lawyers, mechanics, business owners, and homemakers. We are proud of the impact that our alumni have had on communities worldwide . Several have returned to the halls of their alma mater as parents and teachers of a new generation of FCS Eagles.
Much has changed since the founding of Florence Christian School in 1972. A sprawling campus now takes the place of pecan groves and farmland. Technology is utilized in ways that was not thought of previously. However, the most important things about FCS have not changed – gratitude toward the Lord, a love for children and families, and a hunger to instill biblical values in the next generation.
Connecting Faith and Learning
Florence Christian School holds to the Statement of Faith of the Florence Baptist Temple.
Our statement of faith is integrated within the daily educational practices at Florence Christian School.
- We believe in the verbal inspiration and authority of the Scriptures. We believe that the Bible reveals God, the fall of man, the way of salvation, and God’s plan and purpose in the ages.
- We believe in God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the Virgin birth of Jesus Christ and that He lived a perfect, sinless life. We believe He died as a substitute for the sins of mankind and physically resurrected from the grave.
- We believe that salvation is by grace and that men are justified by faith in Christ alone and are accounted righteous before God, only through the merit of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
- We believe in the visible, personal, and pre-millennial return of Jesus Christ.
And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature,
and in favour with God and man.